- Hackers on Planet Earth, in the cloud: HOPE will not be cancelled.
- Climate and machine learning: Machine learning is roasting the planet.
- Seeking Fitbit owners' stories: Help EFF explain why the Google takeover is wrong.
- Software secrecy: Code is (bad) law.
- Grocer won't show employees results from mandatory temp-checks: Coronavirus theater, class war edition.
- Bill Clinton sings "Baby Got Back": Speech synthesis is just sublimely weird.
- Webinar on Controlled Digital Lending and the pandemic: Talking about the Internet Archive, this Friday.
- Google vows no custom AI for oil and gas: Reversing its 2018 position, which was garbage.
- Re-positive coronavirus cases are not infectious: Finally, we catch a break.
- Ifixit's medtech repair manual trove is full to bursting: Right to Repair, pandemic edition.
- This day in history: 2005, 2010, 2015, 2019
- Colophon: Recent publications, upcoming appearances, current writing projects, current reading
Continue reading "Pluralistic: 20 May 2020"
- Announcing the third Little Brother book, Attack Surface: And a new Little Brother/Homeland reissue, with an intro by Ed Snowden!
- Where I Write: A column for the CBC that's really about how I write.
- Stream 200+ global news channels: Each hand-picked, no registration required.
- AT&T's CEO fired 23,000 workers and gave himself a 10% raise: Life on the easiest setting.
- Chelsea Manning is free: But she's been fined $256K for refusing to testify to the Grand Jury.
- Rep Katie Porter forces CDC boss to commit to free testing: Literally the most effective questioner in Congress.
- Trump's unfitness in a plague: It's not because he's an ignoramus, it's because he's a nihilist.
- Malware that hides behind a realtime Covid-19 map: Peter Watts' prophecy comes true.
- Locked-down Siennese sing their city's hymn: A cause for hope in the dark.
- This day in history: 2015, 2019
- Colophon: Recent publications, current writing projects, upcoming appearances, current reading
Continue reading "Pluralistic: 13 Mar 2020"